A day trip to Valkenburg – including 15 exciting things to do in Valkenburg
Traveling through the Netherlands and looking for a cozy, beautiful, historic and natural town in the Netherlands? Planning to go south anyway? Combine your visit to Maastricht with a visit to Valkenburg aan de Geul, also called Valkenburg. This beautiful historical and natural town is located in the South of the Netherlands in the Dutch province of Limburg. The name refers to the central town in the municipality, Valkenburg, and the small river Geul. These days Valkenburg is known for its tourist attractions, caves, chalk houses, and the hilly countryside.
I recently visited Maastricht and Valkenburg. Maastricht is a good base to see the rest of the Dutch province of Limburg. Visiting Valkenburg is one of the interesting possibilities. With this article I would like to share with you 15 exciting things you can do in Valkenburg.
15 exciting things you can do in Valkenburg
1 . Visit Valkenburg Castle ruins for a tour or treasure hunt, of which only a ruin remains
2. Walk through the two city gates ‘Berkelpoort’ and ‘Grendelpoort’
3. Try a local waffle at one of the many cafes at the Grotestraat Valkenburg
4. Walk along the remaining parts of the city walls
5. Visit the Oude Kerk H.H. Nicolaas en Barbarakerk
6. Explore (by a guided-tour) the former underground quarries that were used to gain marl (also called the caves of Valkenburg). Some have interesting charcoal drawings and marl sculptures. Also one quarry has been recreated as the catacombs of Rome.
7. Take the aerial lift uphill to the toboggan run and experience the 375 and 325 meters long toboggan runs
8. Visit Oud-Valkenburg, a small village along the Geul with only 130 inhabitants
9. Try the mini golf course of A GoGo Valkenburg
10. Climb the steps of the Wilhelmina Tower, a viewing tower with a height of 35 meters with almost 200 steps
11. Go and see the Valkenburg railway station, the oldest surviving train station in the Netherlands
13. Visit Saint Nicolas church, a Gothic church
14. Relax at the Kuurpark
15. Valkenburg is one of the places to be in the Netherlands during Christmas. The town offers many festive stalls with Christmas presents, gift items, clothing and personal care products. You can also find many Christmas stalls in the caves!
If you know other great things to do in Valkenburg, the Netherlands, please share it with me in the comment section below. Enjoy Valkenburg!
Pin this post: