A day trip to Valkenburg – including 15 exciting things to do in Valkenburg
Traveling through the Netherlands and looking for a cozy, beautiful, historic and natural town in the Netherlands? Planning to go south anyway? Combine your visit to Maastricht with a visit to Valkenburg aan de Geul, also called Valkenburg. This beautiful historical and natural town is located in the South of the Netherlands in the Dutch province of Limburg. The name refers to the central town in the municipality, Valkenburg, and the small river Geul. These days Valkenburg is known for its tourist attractions, caves, chalk houses, and the hilly countryside.
I recently visited Maastricht and Valkenburg. Maastricht is a good base to see the rest of the Dutch province of Limburg. Visiting Valkenburg is one of the interesting possibilities. With this article, I would like to share with you 15 exciting things you can do in Valkenburg.
15 exciting things you can do in Valkenburg
1 . Visit Valkenburg Castle ruins for a tour or treasure hunt. Visit the historic ruins of the once so imposing castle dating back to the 11th century and learn everything about the Great Hall, defensive towers, dungeon, old chapel, and artillery room.
2. Walk through the two city gates ‘Berkelpoort’ and ‘Grendelpoort’, the only two gates of the city walls that survived.
3. Try a local waffle at one of the many cafes at the Grotestraat Valkenburg. The double chocolate waffle with strawberries and whipped cream is my favorite!
4. Walk along the remaining parts of the city walls.
5. Visit the Oude Kerk H.H. Nicolaas en Barbarakerk. In the center of Valkenburg you will find the ancient parish church dedicated to St. Nicholas and Barbara. This church is the oldest of the two churches of Valkenburg and is a church with a rich history.
6. Explore (by a guided-tour) the former underground quarries that were used to gain marl (also called the caves of Valkenburg). Some have interesting charcoal drawings and marl sculptures. Also one quarry has been recreated as the catacombs of Rome.
7. Take the aerial lift uphill to the toboggan run and experience the 375 and 325 meters long toboggan runs. This activity is fun for everybody! I did it when I was 24 years old and it was so much fun!
8. Visit Oud-Valkenburg, a small village along the Geul with only 130 inhabitants. In Oud-Valkenburg you can visit a gothic church, two castles (Genhoes and Schaloen) and several historic farmsteads (all in local marlstone) and two watermills.
9. Try the mini golf course of A GoGo Valkenburg.
10. Climb the steps of the Wilhelmina Tower, a viewing tower with a height of 35 meters with almost 200 steps. The view from this tower is truly amazing and let you enjoy the hills of Limburg!
11. Go and see the Valkenburg railway station, the oldest surviving train station in the Netherlands.
12. Visit an amusement park ‘Sprookjesbos’ or `Amsument Park De Valkenier’. At Sprookjesbos you can discover the best-known fairytales. Amusement park De Valkenier offers all-round entertainment for visitors of all ages. This fun amusement park is the oldest family park in the Netherlands and offers the lowest prices in all of Europe! The amusement park has more than 25 attractions, both indoors and outdoors.
13. Visit Saint Nicolas church, a Gothic church.
14. Relax at the Kuurpark, a nice park to go for a hike, to enjoy the sun, or to relax.
15. Valkenburg is one of the places to be in the Netherlands during Christmas. The town offers many festive stalls with Christmas presents, gift items, clothing and personal care products. You can also find many Christmas stalls in the caves!
If you know other great things to do in Valkenburg, the Netherlands, please share it with me in the comment section below. Enjoy Valkenburg!
This article is part of the GPSmyCity iOS app. You can download it, read this article offline and obtain travel directions (by foot, car or bicycle) to the places mentioned in this article. Click here to download it.
Pin this post: